2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standards
California's Building Energy Efficiency Standards are updated on an approximately three-year cycle. The 2016 Standards will continue to improve upon the 2013 Standards for new construction of, and additions and alterations to, residential and nonresidential buildings. The effective date of the 2016 Standards is January 1, 2017.
2016 Energy Standards
- 2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Buildings.
CEC-400-2015-037-CMF. (PDF File, 289 Pages, 2.3 mb)
- 2016 Reference Appendices.
CEC-400-2015-038-CMF. (PDF File, 494 Pages, 8.8 mb)
Compliance Manuals and Compliance Documents
- 2016 Residential Compliance Manual and Documents
- 2016 Nonresidential Compliance Manual and Documents
- Open and Closed Circuit Cooling Towers - Maximum Achievable Cycles Calculator
- Solar Reflectance Index Calculator (SRI)
- Ventilation Worksheet
- 2016 Title 24 Solar Water Heating Calculation for built up system
Compliance Software & Alternative Calculation Methods
Approved Compliance Modeling Software
- 2016 Approval Manual.
CEC-400-2015-039-CMF, (PDF file, 49 pages, 656 kb)
- 2016 Residential Reference Manual.
Revised, CEC-400-2015-024-CMF-REV2. (PDF file, 303 pages, 3.7 mb)
- 2016 Nonresidential Reference Manual.
CEC-400-2015-025-CMF, (PDF file, 291 pages, 2.16 mb)
Data Registry Requirements Manual
- 2016 Data Registry Requirements Manual
CEC-400-2015-040-CMF, (PDF file, 155 pages, 5.5 mb)
Certifications & Approvals
- Acceptance Test Technician Certification Program
- HERS Providers for 2016 Standards
- Local Ordinances Exceeding the 2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standards
- 2016 ACM Supporting Content (weather data, appendices)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Standards Infographic
- What's New for 2016
Members of the News Media:
Please contact the Media and Public Communications office at 916-654-4989.