SB 350 Barriers Study
Senate Bill 350 (de Leon, Chapter 547, Statutes of 2015)(SB 350) declared that there is insufficient information to fully realize the potential of solar photovoltaic energy generation to serve low-income customers, including those in disadvantaged communities. It also declares that there is insufficient understanding of the barriers for low-income customers to access all forms of renewable energy being generated in the state and energy efficiency investments. SB 350 therefore requires the Energy Commission to complete and publish a study on the following topics:
- Barriers to, and opportunities for, solar photovoltaic energy generation.
- Barriers to, and opportunities for, access to other renewable energy by low-income customers.
- Barriers to contracting opportunities for local small businesses in disadvantaged communities.
- Barriers for low-income customers to energy efficiency and weatherization investments, including those in disadvantaged communities.
- Recommendations on how to increase access to energy efficiency and weatherization investments to low-income customers.
The Energy Commission plans to accomplish the Barriers Study in four phases:
- The first phase will begin with a literature review of studies completed on the topic areas identified in the statue.
- The second phase will include a series of community-based organizations meetings; and a technical workshop to get relevant input from stakeholder's state agencies, and the public.
- The third phase will include completing and publishing the preliminary Barriers Study for review and public comment within a specified timeframe.
- The fourth and final phase will include completing and publishing the final Barriers Study on or before January 1, 2017.
SB 350 Barriers Study Updates
SB 350 Low-Income Barriers Study, Part A – Commission Final Report. Adopted December 14, 2016.
SB 350 Low-Income Barriers Study, Part A – Revised Staff Draft Report. Submitted December 1, 2016
SB 350 Low-Income Barriers Study - Draft Recommendations. Submitted October 21, 2016.
SB 350 Low-Income Barriers Study – Staff Draft Report. Submitted September 9, 2016.
For questions, please contact:
Web: Public Adviser's Office
Toll-Free Phone: 800-822-6228
News media, please call: Media & Public Communications Office - 916-654-4989.